Host a magical unicorn celebration
Mystical and magical unicorns from fairyland go beyond the traditional princess party.
This birthday theme aims to inspire you, not pressure you!
Here's the plan for Unicorn themed birthday cakes, menu, activities, favors and ideas.
- Unicorn inflatables: Make use of unicorn inflatables at the party in your decor.
They double as party favors!
- Unicorn Cookie cutters have many uses! Use cookie cutters to trace the unicorn
shape onto pretty papers, cut and string to make unicorn garland. You can also
affix small Unicorn cookie cutter shapes on to straws. Trace the shape to help
you make invitations and thank you cards, too!
- Do it yourself Unicorn Horns: Make your own Unicorn horn by forming a cone
shaped party hat from pretty papers you find at the craft stores. Decorate with
pretty ribbons and glitter.
Unicorn Party Plan:
Get the party started for your Unicorn party with these theme ideas:
- Metalic and lilac color theme: Think twinkling metalic silver on a base of lavenders
and purples and you're halfway there to planning the perfect Unicorn party. In
this glittery fantasy, butterflies and fairies naturally follow unicorns, so you'll
want to add them too. Unicorns inhabit enchanted forests, so you have full
liberty to enhance the party theme with fairyland creatures.
- Butterflies, rainbows and fairies: The mystical unicorns of fairyland play under
rainbows and with fluttering butterflies, so you'll want to add these elements to
- Butterflies: See our butterfly party ideas.
- Rainbows: Add rainbow sprinkles to cupcakes, cakes, cookies and
chocolate confections, such as dipped pretzels. (Pretzels can look a bit like
unicorn horns.) Give Unciorn Pops in rainbow colors as party favors.
- Fairies: Sprinkle them with pixie dust! See our Fairy Parties.
- Extend the party theme: Having a Unicorn theme party is a challenge, but you
can extend the party theme with Pegasus, and princess or fairy tale creatures
like knights and dragons, if you are inviting boys.
Unicorn Party decorations
A unicorn party is a cute departure from the princess party theme. You'll really impress
the adults at the party with a bit of creativity to make this a party that's really
memorable. Here is the inspiration you need to enhance your party with decorations in
the unicorn theme:
- Unicorn tattoos: Kids love getting decorated for the party and unicorn tattoos are
a simple and inexpensive way to do it. All you need is a wet sponge and an
adult or teen helper to ensure the tattoo gets a chance to adhere to the skin for
thirty seconds. Kids love the countdown, so involve them in it.
- Create a dreamy unicorn table setting: Keep the decor for your unicorn party in a
color scheme of purple and pink with hints of blue. Layer a pink table cloth with
purple tulle on top. Next, layer your table with candy like confetti. Kids will enjoy
eating your decorations! The Unicorn Candy pack, right, is an ideal table confetti.
It has unicorn shapes, including a rainbow, stars, and unicorn heads in pastel
- Unicorn Figurines: Get out the castles, unicorn figurines from your toy chest and
transform the party area into fairyland. Look to Papo and Schleich for a variety of
unicorn and Pegasus figurines to decorate the cake and tables.
- Set the stage with entry to your party: Sprinkle Unicorn confetti with pink, purple
or silver glitter at the party entrance to get everyone excited. To enhance your
fairy tale theme party further, create signs to direct "Unicorns" and "Dragons" to
the appropriate bathrooms. Place a "Unicorn Crossing" sign strategically at the
Unicorn Party Supplies
Finding unicorn party favors, decorations and plates is not easy, but buying online for
your unicorn party is much easier than trying to shop the local party supply. Look for:
- inflatable unicorns and unicorn plush by the dozen for around $20.
- unicorn pops swirled lollipops come wrapped in with an adorable unicorn
packaging. This is the brand to get (the others are copies).
- unicorn candy molds to make lollipops, chocolates and other candies.
- unicorn candy packs, right, come in blue raspberry, banana and strawberry.
- Unicorn puppets
- unicorn balloons
- unicorn glitter tattoos, left
- unicorn sticker sheets, left
- unicorn horn headbands
- unicorn funny money (dollar bills)
- unicorn pencils and notebooks,
- unicorn plush and bean bags
- Pin-the-tail on the unicorn party game,
Unicorn Party Activities
Have a puppet show with unicorn puppets. Make your own unicorn puppets from
tongue depressors, yarn and paper with this unicorn arts and crafts project. Make
home-made play dough (purple, pink and blue) or use the store bought kind, and
embellish with glitter sprinkles.
- Stuff a pinata with unicorn buttermints. There are six packs for $15, which is just
$2.50 a bag. The retail for $3.95 each. One package is plenty for a pinata filler.
- Give them Mini-Fairy Land. This fun favor idea, right, by Accoutrements, comes
complete with a prince and princess, two fairies, a carriage, two thrones, a
magic mirror, two doves, a goose, a Pegasus and a unicorn. Be sure to see Mini-
Camelot for the boys.
Unicorn Party Foods
Here's what's on the menu for a Unicorn Party:
- Get cookie cutter: The unicorn cookie cutter, left has so many uses for your menu.
Use it to make our easy Big Batch Sugar Cookies Cookie cutters also help you
cut fondant for decorating the birthday cake with unicorn shapes. You may even
cut cheeses for the appetizer tray or use them cut tea sandwiches.
- Unicorn drink ideas: Use purple sugar rims, the kind used for adult drinks, to give
kids the royal treatment. Squeeze a wedge of lime around the sides and then
dip in sugar and serve lemonade or Vitamin Water and use a swirly
- Unicorn party drink idea: Unicorn Pop sucker as a swizzle stick.
- Unicorn fairy tale Party cupcake ideas: To give cupcakes an ethereal look for a
princess party, tear some blue cotton candy to make a dreamy cloud accent ona
creamy pink frosting. It's a look that's sure to send the kids to fairyland.
- Unicorn candy ideas: Unicorn pops make a great favor for a Unicorn party. This
classic creation resembles the unicorn horn.
- Make Unicorn Jello: Use the versatile unicorn cake pan next year for a pony
party. Use it for cake, Jello, chocolates and more. Fill the horn with chocolate,
marzipan or candy you can melt and mold. Look also to for unicorn molds to help
you create confections (chocolate unicorn lollipops and hard candy suckers, for
- Unicorn bundt cake mold. For a fantastic bunt cake, try the Zanda Panda Unicorn
Mold. You can also make unicorn lollipops, chocolate or marzipan cakes, cookies
and more from this versatile pan.
- Make Unicorn horn ice cream cones. You'll find the complete recipe from Barbara
Beery in her Princess Cookbook available on Amazon (see pages 44-45). There
you'll find a recipe for waffle cones dipped into colorful melt-able candies and
rolled into candy confetti then topped with ice-cream, turned upside-down to
look like a unicorn horn.
- More fun Unicorn horn ideas: Waffle cones are great cups for fruit and
snackmixes, too. They look like unicorn horns. Whats more, Bugles are yummy
unicorn party snacks. For a Winter Unicorn party, dig up some icicle shaped
Christmas ornaments to hang throughout your party to add to the magical touch.
Unicorn Invitation ideas
Surprisingly, unicorn invitations aren't easy to find. The enchanting unicorn party
invitations, left match the best selling unicorn partyware available. They sweetly
provide a blue and pink theme. Check out these other unicorn invitation ideas:
- Unicorn stickers: You can enhance these invitations or make your own unicorn
party invitations with the help of Dover sticker books, which also make excellent
party favors and are available in large quantites online, left. Dover Little Activity
Books also come in tattoos and stencils in addition to stickers.
- Unicorn postage stamps: You'll find sweet Unicorn postage stamps at Zazzle
(choose .27 cents for a Postcard or .42 cents for a 1-oz envelope).
Unicorn gifts for the birthday girl
- Breyer Unicorn Music Box: Beautifully illustrated and with lovely velvet flocked
paper lining, the Unicorn Treasure box, left , is the perfect place to stash tiny
treasurer. Heirloom quality construction, this enchanting music box plays “The
Unicorn” as the petite unicorn pirouettes.
- Enchanted unicorn wall decals. Decorate her bedroom with the same enchanted
unicorn motif you buy for the party plates and party supplies. Pictured right, the
giant wall decal set includes 1 large unicorn (32.5" wide x 38" high), 1 dragonfly,
7 pink flowers, mini starbursts, and 1 light switch decoration. She'll treasure her
Real Unicorn Parties...
As kids birthday parties go, a unicorn party is unusual, but other parents have had
them. Here's the best roundup to inspire your enchanted party:
- Unicorn party for Elle. Carly Taylor photography shares a sweet unicorn party for
one-year-old Elle. The hostess created a superb unicorn theme complete with
unicorn horn treats made from ice cream cones, and home made unicorn horns
for party goers.
Now it's your turn to tell us about your celebration with kids. Write us on Twitter!
How to throw a unicorn party...
(C) Copyright 2009-2014. All rights reserved. Updated 3/13/14.
Linking to this cute party ideas is permitted. HOWEVER, no part of this content may be reproduced, or stored in any
retrieval system, or transmitted in any other form or by any means including but not limited to electronic, mechanical,
photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the written consent of the author. The author makes no warranties
express or implied. Works are protected by copyscape. We love to link to quality sites! Write us at Twitter.
See our other kids parties.
Search KIDS PARTIES now: